[ih] Exterior Gateway Protocol

Scott Brim scott.brim at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 04:30:54 PDT 2020

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020, 18:14 Noel Chiappa via Internet-history <

> I have this vague
> memory that Scott Brim may have been at an FGP kick-off meeting - or is my
> memory playing false?

Either the first or the second. It was the third IETF.

There was also IDRP (the name, I am convinced, was deliberately chosen to be
> confusing), from Yakov and someone else (Deborah Estrin?), which was a
> mashup
> of IDPR (to handle policy-routed traffic) and a BGP-ish DV system (to
> handle
> ordinary traffic).

IMHO that evolved out of the Autonomous Networks Task Force - 1987-88 or
so, chaired by Deborah. The goal was policy-based interdomain routing, and
as I recall we spent a lot of time on credentials (who gets to use which
gateway) and confidentiality (do you get to search through all my
credentials when I want to traverse you?).