[ih] Exterior Gateway Protocol

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Sep 3 15:49:00 PDT 2020

Hi Noel,

Yes, I can confirm that MIT was one of the culprits motivating the
creation of EGP.   I don't remember the details of the particular
incident, but I do remember that MIT and Dave's Fuzzballs were notorious
sources of disruption.

At the time, there were two conflicting goals, running a stable core
Internet as a service, and providing a "real" environment in which to
try out new ideas for our list of problems-to-be-solved.  EGP was
intended as a way to have your cake and eat it too.

The motivation for a stable service was obvious - to prove that TCP/IP
worked and could be deployed as a DoD standard.   But there was also a
strong desire to continue research aggressively, because of various
scenarios that would be poorly handled by the initial routing mechanism.

I probably don't remember them all, but there were a bunch of such
"routing problems" beyond the basic desire for efficiency and
stability.  At the ICCB meetings, we used to keep a list of "things to
be worked on", many of which were associated with routing.  A few I
remember:

- Type-Of-Service Routing: how to route packets differently for
different needs, in particular low-latency for voice/video, versus
high-throughput for file transfers.  That's why we put the TOS field in
the IP header.  Another example would be handling ICMP packets with
priority over others.

- Expressway Routing: how to route packets through a separate network,
even if both ends were attached to a common network.  The example was
how to route traffic between two ARPANET hosts through gateways to the
WideBandNet, rather than just sending packets directly through the ARPANET.

- Policy Routing: how to route packets depending on who "owned" them.
The example here involved the two paths between the US and Europe at the
time.  The X.25 path cost money to use, and ARPA wanted only
ARPA-sponsored packets to use the satellite (SATNET) path which ARPA was
paying for.

- Multipath Routing: how to route packets along more than the one "best"
path, if two (or more) independent paths led from source to
destination.   This was coupled with another problem - how to take
advantage of Multi-homed Hosts that had connections to multiple
networks.   The goal was to achieve higher host-host throughputs by
simultaneously using all viable paths.

- Capacity Routing: how to route packets depending on the sustainable
bandwidth of possible paths, rather than hops or delay.  This would
allow things like file transfers to finish sooner, even though the
individual packets might not get there in the fastest way.

These usage scenarios were in addition to the common goals of using
delay-based metrics instead of hops, which were well understood to be a
poor metric.

At the time, the gateways simply had too little memory and CPU to
implement anything fancy, and IIRC the core gateways didn't have
appropriate clocks either.  So it was tough to see how to measure things
like gateway queueing or network transmission delays.   Dave Mills was
especially interested in dealing with and measuring delays, which I
think motivated him to drive the creation of NTP.

EGP was intended to keep the "operational" part of the Internet running
smoothly, while enabling the research community to solve those
problems.  I've always been curious about how, and if, those "routing
problems" ever were addressed in any subsequent IGP, or whether they
just disappeared into the fog of history.

/Jack Haverty