[ih] Exterior Gateway Protocol

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Wed Sep 2 17:24:38 PDT 2020

Hi Geoff,
   You ask about how SPF (shortest path first) fits in.

   I'll try to answer, keeping in mind that this is a history list (and
not a deep routing-technical list).

   At the outset, the basic concept of an Autonomous System (AS) is so
important.  I appreciate Jack Haverty's message describing how he and
Eric Rosen came up with it at BBN.  An AS is a set of routers (fine
point: not a set of networks) under a single technical/administrative unit.

   This naturally led to the distinction between routing protocols for
use within an AS (an Interior Gateway Protocol) and for use between
pairs of ASes (an Exterior Gateway Protocol).
   While not strictly necessary, this has led to a variety of IGPs
(since each AS can make its own decision about this) vs uniformity of an
EGP (since all the ASes need to agree on them).  Thus, there is usually
only one 'EGP' (EGPv2 during the period 1986 to 1990, BGP since about
1990, and an awkward period during the transition).

   Within the world of IGPs of that era, most were distance-vector.
With history going back to the original ARPAnet routing protocol, these
included (in the 1986-1990 era):
<> RIP, using hop count as its metric,
<> Hello, from Dave Mills including in his Fuzzball routers, using delay
as its metric (sometimes measured delay, but more often configured
delay), and
<> IGRP, from Cisco, with an interesting combination of min-bandwidth
and sum-of-delay metrics.
These were relatively simple to implement and could exhibit nasty
"counting to infinity" problems.

   And there were shortest-path-first (alias link-state) protocols.
With history going back to the second ARPAnet routing protocol, these
included:
<> ISIS, from the DECnet effort, and
<> OSPF, for Open Shortest Path First, from the IETF.
These were more sophisticated both in theory and practice, but converged
quickly and had other nice technical properties.  A key challenge is
that the SPF algorithm is executed on all the routers within the AS in a
consistent way; if done correctly, this can result in nicely optimized
routes and rapid convergence times.

   It's worth noting that BGP can be viewed as a distance-vector
protocol, with the entire AS-path as its metric.  Note that BGP does
*not* dictate which of several possible routes a given AS will prefer
(and propagate).  And, sure enough, it can exhibit a really nasty
version of the "counting to infinity" problem.

   While I'm not aware of anyone actually doing this, it is interesting
to contemplate what an SPF-based *EGP*.  This could have advantages
(e.g., more optimal inter-AS routing and rapid convergence times), but
having any Global agreement on which inter-AS routes will be preferred
would be very unlikely.

   So, in practice, SPF technology is only used in IGPs.

   Again, I focus on the late 1980s for historical focus.  And also,
since, once a pretty good system, especially with BGP in the generic
EGP/inter-AS context, evolves, it's hard to make big changes.
   Comments?
	-- Guy