[ih] Exterior Gateway Protocol

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Wed Sep 2 09:59:06 PDT 2020

EGP preceded NSFnet by about 5 years (RFC 827 was released in October
1982).  CSNET was nascent and IP service on CSNET was still a year or so in
the future.

Could Bob have been thinking about splitting off DoD IP networks to another
provider (e.g. the logical step after inserting the mailbridges) and using
EGP for that purpose?

Craig

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 10:39 AM Jack Haverty via Internet-history <

> Hi Dan,
>
> Re: the creation of EGP:   Five or ten years ago, I summarized the
> events around the creation of EGP on this list (actually the list when
> it was hosted at ISI).  You may be able to find it in old
> internet-history message archives.
>
> Here's what I wrote. The "Bob" is Bob Kahn, who was one of the ARPA
> Program Managers at the time.  These events occurred just prior to RFC
> 827, sometime in 1981/2:
>
> > I was at one of innumerable meetings.  Sorry, I can't remember where
> or when.
> > It was probably in DC, where I spent a lot of time, but my gut feeling
> tells me
> > it was the European Internet meeting, maybe in Munich.  Anyway,... Bob
> and I
> > were hanging on the same subway strap, with the usual group of a dozen
> or two
> > people heading out to find dinner.  Bob wanted to talk about the Internet
> > architecture, and in particular the core gateways.  He managed over the
> > squealing of the car's wheels to overcome my skepticism and make it
> clear that
> > it would be a good idea to figure out how to make it possible for
> gateways not
> > built by BBN to be full participants in the system of gateways.  I
> don't know
> > whether this was motivated by political pressures to enable
> CSNET/NSFNET, or
> > some technical considerations, or by the ARPA charter to focus on new
> technology
> > and new ideas, rather than replicating the old ones.  But he convinced
> me, and I
> > went away with a new direction, and a harder task to make something
> work using
> > an unproven approach.
> >
> > Back at BBN, the challenge was not only to figure out how to make a
> stable
> > heterogeneous Internet, but also how to convince the people on the
> project that
> > it was a good idea to let other people build gateways and hook them up
> to "our"
> > system.   Fortunately the meetings of the TCP and IP working groups
> were great
> > training for this kind of work.   I recruited one of the best thinkers
> from the
> > ARPANet crowd - Dr. Eric Rosen.  He and I sat down for several multi-hour
> > brainstorming sessions, and came up with the notion of "autonomous
> systems",
> > which were sets of routers owned/managed by a single organization, and
> > interconnected with other such systems to form the overall Internet.
> EGP (which
> > I think evolved into BGP) and the concept of IGP (which basically
> means whatever
> > mechanisms are used among the routers inside their own closed system)
> made it
> [...]

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and