[ih] Exterior Gateway Protocol

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Sep 2 07:39:40 PDT 2020

On 9/2/20 7:55 AM, Dan York via Internet-history wrote:
> Grant,

Hi,

> It also needs more explanation that EGP was replaced by BGP. (The
> current sentence there says “essentially replaced” and is a bit
> vague with no references.)

Hum.

> If any of you all here know of any RFCs that explicitly indicate
> EGP was replaced/obsoleted, or if you know of any journal articles,
> academic papers, historical documents, etc., that could be useful,
> I would be glad to update the article a bit. Or if you can point me
> to any info about the creation of EGP (there’s a line that needs a
> source). Or any other info you think would be useful in this Wikipedia
> article, that would be great.

I found a some information about EGP in and around the gated routing
daemon.  I wonder if there might be some more information that could
help you.

> (Note that for info to appear in the English version of
> Wikipedia, it needs to be backed up by a “reliable source” -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reliable_sources - which
> includes journal articles, academic papers, news articles, RFCs, etc.)

I wonder if you can find any graphs on the number of Internet
connections using BGP.  If similar ever existed for EGP, you can
probably compare / contrast the two.

I also think that the lack of contemporary EGP implementations is
evidence of BGP's replacement of EGP.  As is the fact that BGP supports
things that EGP does not.  Things which are used all over the Internet,
e.g. multipath.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die