[ih] Exterior Gateway Protocol

Dan York york at isoc.org
Wed Sep 2 06:55:05 PDT 2020

Grant,

On Sep 1, 2020, at 11:24 PM, Grant Taylor via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org<mailto:internet-history at elists.isoc.org>> wrote:

Does anyone know of any surviving implementations of Exterior Gateway Protocol, BGP's predecessor.

I know that NetWare 4.x has an implementation of EGP.  But I'm not aware of anything else that did support it.  I assume that Cisco IOS of the time did.  Did any other network operating system vendor or 3rd party vendor have EGP implementations?

I have no knowledge of EGP implementations … but related to EGP, one of my personal late night hobbies/distractions during the pandemic has been diving more deeply into Wikipedia editing, and I noticed that the page for EGP needs some citations / references:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exterior_Gateway_Protocol

It also needs more explanation that EGP was replaced by BGP. (The current sentence there says “essentially replaced” and is a bit vague with no references.)

If any of you all here know of any RFCs that explicitly indicate EGP was replaced/obsoleted, or if you know of any journal articles, academic papers, historical documents, etc., that could be useful, I would be glad to update the article a bit. Or if you can point me to any info about the creation of EGP (there’s a line that needs a source). Or any other info you think would be useful in this Wikipedia article, that would be great.

(Note that for info to appear in the English version of Wikipedia, it needs to be backed up by a “reliable source” - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reliable_sources - which includes journal articles, academic papers, news articles, RFCs, etc.)

Dan

P.S. Please do note that this Wikipedia updating is something I do on my own personal time and is not part of any of my responsibilities and work at the Internet Society. This is just me wanting to update info in Wikipedia to be more accurate. :-)