[ih] "how better protocols could solve those problems better"

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Oct 1 08:31:43 PDT 2020

On 10/1/2020 6:51 AM, Miles Fidelman via Internet-history wrote:
> But we could start by actually fixing things like calendaring - where
> the protocols exist, but nobody seems to implement them well.

This isn't a technical or standards issue.

There's no obvious information that the existing specifications are
deficient.

Ditto for instant messaging.

And yet in both cases, we have a large number of operator-specific,
stove-piped services.

The issue, here, is lack of coherent, strong market forces towards a
single, common capability.

Operators have the strong incentive of user capture to motivate them to
stovepipe.  They only relinquish that control when they are forced to.
By the market. (Or maybe by regulation, but good luck with that; it
didn't work very well for OSI.)

Absent that market pressure -- users, customers, whomever -- no amount
or quality of specification work matters.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking