[ih] "how better protocols could solve those problems better"

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Thu Oct 1 07:04:49 PDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 9:55 AM Miles Fidelman via Internet-history <

> For a long time, I've maintained that we need a new generation of
> application layer protocols, for things like:

> But we could start by actually fixing things like calendaring - where
> the protocols exist, but nobody seems to implement them well.

What do you have in mind that needs to be fixed re calendaring?  I
frequently have trouble with the calendaring.  Changes sometimes don't
propagate properly, and changes to recurring meetings get mangled.

Some time ago I noticed there was a calendar working group, calisfy.  I
joined it because I wanted to suggest that in addition to the details re
formats, etc., the specification should also say something about expected
time to propagate changes.  There was zero response within the WG.  I
stopped paying close attention but I remained on the mailing list.  The
protocol seems extremely complicated and I would not be surprised if the
result from the WG turns out to be better but nonetheless still broken in
various ways.

Steve