[ih] Arpanet physical connectors

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Jul 23 20:41:32 PDT 2020

> IMHO, part of the History of the Internet involves the History of the
> Mundane - like connectors and lines.

At the first technical meeting of all the vendors involved with building
MCI Mail -- national packet net and dial-in and printers all over the
country -- on an aggressive schedule, Vint began by citing the scheduled
public demonstration, 6 months hence.

He firmly declared that we would meet it.  He paused and then said "but
if we don't -- but we will -- but if we don't -- it will be because of a
problem with a connector.

Around 3 or 4 am, the day of the public demo, we had a showstopping
problem.  Mad effort to fix it.  When it was finally diagnosed, it was a
connector.

d/

--
Dave Crocker