[ih] NCP and TCP implementations

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Jul 21 19:44:48 PDT 2020

More recollections -- Jim Mathis' TCP implementation was done for use on
top of MOS, the SRI OS which apparently ran on various PDP-11 based
devices such as the Packet Radios, Port Expanders, et al.  We used it at
BBN in LSI-11 based systems.

Jim's MOS-hosted TCP was what I received at ARPA's direction in 1977, to
use as a basis for implementing the first Unix TCP.   I used a lot of
Jim's code that did the TCP state diagrams, buffer management,
"Transmission Control Block", etc., but of course had to change all of
the system and "user" interface code.  Everything was in Macro-11
assembler, although I used a PDP-10 (Tenex) to cross-compile for the
11/40 where Unix ran.  I don't think I had to do much if anything to
make the Macro-11 code able to assemble using the PDP-10 tools.

It might be interesting to compare Jim's TCP with my Unix version to see
how much "common DNA" remained.   My code is an old paper listing
though, so it won't be as simple as just running 'diff' on the two.

Dave Mills "fuzzballs" were -11 based and also had TCP.   But I don't
recall ever knowing whether that was an implementation from scratch, or
if it was also derived from Jim's code.

/Jack