[ih] Usenet query

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Jul 13 10:01:08 PDT 2020

In article <e7b37bdb-e411-c22e-81e6-e28066e6637d at good-stuff.co.uk> you write:
>To give some background, it's fairly common these days for Usenet
>providers to insert their own Organization header where one isn't
>already set by the user. ...

I'm a relative newcomer, only started using usenet in about 1983.

I'm fairly sure that news servers always added the Organization header
to messages that didn't have it. At the time, every little (or not so
little) organization ran its own news server, so the user and the
server were invariably at the same organization, so automatically
adding the header did the right thing.