[ih] mail has changed in the past 30 years, ih ML-manager configuration strips signatures(++)

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Jul 11 18:09:42 PDT 2020

In article <20200711205359.1_snz%steffen at sdaoden.eu>,
Steffen Nurpmeso via Internet-history <steffen at sdaoden.eu> wrote:
> |Yes, it is inefficient.  No, it's not a problem.
>
>Well well, not to be misunderstood here.  But misuse is always
>a problem.

The amount of Internet bandwidth used by mail is an insignificant
fraction of the total, and the amount used by signature headers is an
insignificant fraction of that insignificant fraction. Take a look at
any message from a large mail systems like Gmail or Outlook.com and
you'll find a couple of pages of signatures and trace headers and
various private stuff.

I think we all remember when people complained about how wasteful HTML
mail was, and I still run into people who are outraged that when I
send a message to two people, my mail system sends two separate copies
rather than one copy with two recipients. When we used 1200 bps modems
and a T1 was a high capacity backbone, perhaps it mattered but these
days when a 5Mb connection is considered painfully slow, it doesn't.

The Internet has plenty of problems that need solving, but
micro-optimizing the size of mail headers isn't one of them.

R's,
John
--
Regards,