[ih] ih ML-manager configuration strips signatures(++)

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sat Jul 11 13:38:19 PDT 2020

John Levine wrote in
<20200711030108.79E1F1C834DA at ary.qy>:
 |In article <20200710142922.rcaBs%steffen at sdaoden.eu> you write:
 |>Oh yes, sorry, not meant to offend you.  But still, whereas
 |>i really see DKIM, i do not like the way it is used.  I have seen
 |>messages where several intermediate receivers each performed DKIM
 |>verification, which i could possibly understand / deem ok, but
 |>also generating DKIM anew.  Isn't that a tremendous waste of
 |>resources of all kind, need- and useless, ...
 |
 |No, that's how it's supposed to work.

Hm.  My evil subconsciousness says it depends.  If you do not add
or change anything, why should you.  It was more about the five
and even more successive in the same subdomain subnet i have seen.
Normally something for a VPN, IPSec or the lighter TinC-based
version, OpenVPN, the hip in-kernel Wireguard.  Or simply client
certificates for TLS secured SMTP when hopping the intranet
structure.  Or nothing at all, because behind a DMZ and also
otherwise protected by firewall rules and routing.  No?

I am not using DKIM myself "yet".  I track opendkim.  I could now
also go for python3-dkim, because of GlibC build dependency the
upcoming release of this distro will have python3 in core, anyway,
and there is a package available.  I had to look how i can make
postfix use dkim for the one and not the other.  Then again, no.

 |>and how it increases header size.
 |
 |Um, it's not the 1990s any more. Considering the amount of bloat in
 |typical mail messages these days with overformatted HTML and embedded
 |pictures, a few extra header lines are insignificant.

It maybe all be relative, and i counteract it too often, but in my
opinion nothing is insignificant.
The message summary of my inbox shows message sizes and lines,
i thus see them differences six days a week.

A nice Sunday i wish.

--steffen