[ih] Historical Tracing from Concept to Reality over 5 decades?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Jul 9 13:40:17 PDT 2020

Hi Steve et al,

Yes, I agree that there are "traceable tracks" over the last 50+ years
from concept to what we have today, for a lot of different concepts.
What I was searching for was a pointer to some book(s) or author(s) that
have actually done the tracing, including multiple traces that
influenced each other, and shown how the world got from point A to point B.

I've only read a few "internet history" expositions, but all that I've
seen have seemed to me to be quite parochial, tracing either the history
of a person or maybe a group, or the history of a technology such as
TCP/IP (or ARPANET).     So, for example, they don't explore any
influences that might have occurred from other parallel efforts.

One example is the development of the Internet in the early 80s, and
cross-coupling that might have occurred between the ARPA "Internet
Project" and the Xerox PARC creation of XNS technology.  I do have one
tiny piece of evidence that such interactions occurred -- one of the XNS
specifications references an RFC I wrote at MIT while in Lick's world;
somebody at Xerox read it, although I suspect much more such
"cross-coupling" occurred when Bob Metcalfe left Lick's group and joined
PARC.  Also I recall John Schoch participating (and even hosting at
PARC) one of the quarterly Internet meetings, and lively discussions of
naming vs. addressing vs. routing.

There were similarly many other concomitant "internet projects" in the
80s -- IBM/SNA, Novell, Banyan, OSI, DECNET, et al, which may, or may
not, have interacted with "The Internet", if only by the effect of
people moving around during their career.   But the "internet history"
discussions I've seen generally don't even mention such work.

So I was hoping that someone would point me to some historian's work
which has traced something (e.g., Lick's notion of programming) through
whatever paths it took through whatever companies and institutions over
time, showing how it evolved from concept to reality.   I guess there
isn't any but maybe some historian lurking here will take up the task.

Meanwhile, I'm collecting thoughts to write down what I personally
experienced, which will necessarily be parochial since I can't remember
what I never encountered.   But I had a different path than others, so
maybe it will provide another piece of the puzzle for someone to put
together later.   As you said, there's plenty of room for multiple
histories....

/Jack