[ih] ih ML-manager configuration strips signatures(++)

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu Jul 9 06:41:30 PDT 2020

Hello.

Vint Cerf via Internet-history wrote in
<CAHxHggfd+oqmzFuftrd+55b84z-eRzweoDjBDwqRQ-MZwoqgWg at mail.gmail.com>:

  [-- #1.1 55/1496 --]
  [-- Defective MIME structure --]

It seems the ML strips (at least) application/pkcs7-signature of
S/MIME, those should be in DEFAULT_PASS_MIME_TYPES.  (A little bit
funny that now that everybody goes for DKIM and we see this
terrible "Name via List <list>" everywhere, personal and conscious
signatures end up mutilated.)

Having said that, my Mailman (v2.* based) did pass a message with
an image recently even though these are not in PASS_MIME_TYPES.
(The message got stuck in a moderator queue first.  And my gut
feeling tells me that whenever a queue is involved, trouble is
ahead.  Like endless tries to notify posters of non-member post
attempts that await moderator approval etc.  But .. off-topic.)

Ciao from Germany,

--steffen