[ih] SIP and ENUM

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Tue Jul 7 22:30:58 PDT 2020

On 7 Jul 2020, at 23:46, Karl Auerbach via Internet-history wrote:

> As for Enum - that has always scared me.  I am made nervous by the notion that DNS clients would evaluate j-random regular expressions found in NAPTR records.   That strikes me not much different than the security problems we have had with web browsers evaluating random Javascript fed to them by websites.

I must explain that a. I was probably having something weird for dinner when I came up with this, but b. People really want this feature.

That said, when ENUM was evaluated last time, I tried to change the NAPTR record to instead use URI resource records. There was extremely tough pushback as regex was in use for "infrastructure ENUM".

The URI resource record was still defined, and I personally think the best solution for "E.164 numbers" is a prefix-based DNS record like URI and then a well defined target (like a URI).

   Patrik