[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1

Christian cdel at firsthand.net
Tue Jul 7 04:54:25 PDT 2020

public enum was too public for telephony carriers. They like to disguise
their routing partners. They want to control "their" numbers. Porting
numbers requires dips that get remunerated and so this was another
incentive to keep control of porting directly.

privacy concerns for "users" was the least of it really. Although it was
a handy stick.

But they like enum. Itis an excellent mapping service. Carriers use it
tightly coupled to their switches and gateway interconnects between SS7
and IP worlds - under their control. This is sometimes referred to as
infrastructure or iENUM or even carrier ENUM. There are some semantic
distinctions within those terms.

I setup several such gateways between 2005 and 2012.

Christian de Larrinaga