[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Mon Jul 6 11:03:51 PDT 2020

vis-a-vis "Bringing back an old signature below from back then, which i
think sums it up nicely." here are a couple more from that era:

"Computer scientists don't have to worry about the world.  They don't

have to develop theories of the world and then build tools to test it.

Rather, they just build tools to satisfy their own worlds.  Ask a

computer science graduate student what his or her thesis is and the

best they can answer is that the program or machine they are working

on will be a good thing to have."

-- Chuck Thacker, in "Fumbling the Future: How Xerox Invented,

    Then Ignored, the First Personal Computer";

"Sendmail is a nifty mailer whose flexibility ... is nothing short of

amazing.  How did Eric Allman embed this flexibility?  He used a

variation on Post Productions as address rewriting rules.  If he

hadn't taken a theory course, none of us would have sendmail today."

-- Mark Horton, in net.college, supporting the teaching of

        theory courses.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 4:52 AM Toerless Eckert via Internet-history <