[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jul 6 09:02:35 PDT 2020

Dave Crocker via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> To the extent that x.400 use became common, it wasn't unusual to see a
> business card with a multi-line email address, for all the attributes you
> gave, but listing a /series/ of ADMDs, for all the carriers you could reach
> the person through.  Each carrier, really, meant a different email address.

This makes it sound a bit like late-1980s-style % hacks for gatewaying
email were baked into X.400. Here's one of my favourite descriptions of a
world that was a few years gone before I got on the net:

http://vtda.org/docs/computing/UniversityOfWarwick/JANET-Mail-Gateways.pdf

Tony.
The Minch: Westerly or northwesterly 5 or 6, occasionally 7 at first in north,
decreasing 3 or 4, then becoming variable later. Slight or moderate, becoming
smooth later in central areas. Showers, squally at first. Good.