[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 21:23:34 PDT 2020

Geoff,

That was all very derivative... it originated in 1989, when Denise Heagerty
(in my group at CERN) and Rüdiger Grimm (at GMD) wrote the original proposal:
https://cds.cern.ch/record/202026?ln=en

Although I had an X.400ish address at that time thanks to EAN, I never had it
on a business card; in fact I doubt that I ever gave it to anybody.

As far as I can tell, Rüdiger's umlaut would have been problematic. The G field
seems to have been restricted to ASCII in the 1989 version. RFC 1685 is also
weak on that front. (The IAB character set workshop, which put this issue on
the table, wasn't until 1996.)

Regards
   Brian Carpenter