[ih] Who Paid for the Internet? (was Re: sad news: Peter Kirstein)

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue Jan 14 09:48:04 PST 2020

> On 11/01/2020 19:04, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
>> There's probably a PhD thesis or two to be done in that early-Internet
>> arena - Who Paid For The Internet?

Hi Jack!

I expect that lots of theses have already been written on the topic.

Of course, as we both know, the answer is "after all, it was you and me."

I mean:

- tax dollars paid for some of the earliest backbones (like our
favorites, the ARPANET and MILNET), and then for connection fees for
university researchers to attach to some of the early academic networks.

- universities, corporations, etc. built huge amounts of infrastructure
- paid for out of overhead & capital budgets

- corporations built a huge amount of backbone & last mile
infrastructure, paid for from investment funds & profits

- we all pay for our home networks & end-devices out of our own pockets

- etc.

I tend to describe the Internet as the existence proof that (the
collective) we know how to build globe-spanning, essential
infrastructure, that is owned & controlled by billions of people &
organizations, with nobody in control, held together by voluntary
agreements & coordination by those who show up to things like the IETF.
(Kind of the model for my early work on "civic networking" and
"electronic town halls," and more recently the model I talk about for
how humanity might crowdsource a Green New Deal, before the planet fries.)

Cheers,

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown