[ih] evil umpire?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Feb 29 12:02:25 PST 2020

Hi Folks,

So, somebody here must remember:

Who was it who's USENET sig line referred to the "evil umpire," and what
was the exact line?  (My Google Foo doesn't seem to be working today, or
it happened too long ago to be indexed.)

I want to quote it in a piece I'm writing.

Cheers,

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown