[ih] byte order, was Octal vs Hex, not Re: Dotted decimal notation

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Dec 31 11:41:52 PST 2020

I just asked this question on a forum of ex-BBN employees, which is
populated by many of the people who were involved with building and
operating the ARPANET from its beginning and through the 70s and 80s.
That elicited answers from the two people who were in charge of the
ARPANET project through that time, with ARPA as their client/boss, as
well as engineers who worked on building and operating it.

The consensus -- no such thing as ARPA banning MazeWars over the ARPANET
actually happened:

"I would have heard about it if it were true.  I was deeply connected
with ARPA at the time"

So I'd consider that pretty good evidence that the "legend" is fantasy.

MazeWars was (unsuccessfully) banned at MIT-DM as it became a prime
consumer of CPU and Console time, but that mostly just shifted gaming
into the wee hours of the day.   No ARPANET involved.

/Jack Haverty
(MIT-DM 1970-1977; BBN 1977-1990)