[ih] byte order, was Octal vs Hex, not Re: Dotted decimal notation

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Dec 29 16:18:22 PST 2020

Back then, there were no established designs for computers, or any
strong sense of The Right Way.  Or perhaps too many such strong senses
with different designs.

You'd probably have to find a PDP-11 designer to get some insight into
why that little-endian decision was made.  In my own work, I remember
that sometimes design decisions were made for very pragmatic reasons.

For example, the pinouts of logic ICs and the complexity of a PC board
layout of traces could have motivated a design choice.  While I was
working as a student at MIT Draper Labs on Apollo-related equipment, I
remember design decisions  which were made in order to minimize the
number of "pins" on a board connector.   From experience, computer
failures were strongly correlated with the number of pins and their
associated connectors which corroded.  So minimizing pinouts was the
driving design parameter, especially for stuff that ended up in space.

Perhaps PDP-11 designers made similar design decisions to create a
little-endian choice.

I wrote the first TCP for PDP-11 Unix.   I remember after getting it
working, I made a pass through the code to remove a bunch of SWAB
instructions (SWAp Bytes left-right in a 16-bit memory location),
because the bytes in IP headers seemed to always be in the wrong place.
So as I was debugging, I SWABed wherever needed to get it to work.   It
was a common experience to PDP-11 programmers.

/Jack