[ih] Octal vs Hex Re: Dotted decimal notation

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 14:33:23 PST 2020

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 5:15 PM Kenneth Porter via Internet-history <

> Didn't the 11, like the 10, also have some 3-bit fields in the instruction
> set? I recall that octal made it really easy to see field values in the
> 10's instructions.

Yes, that too.
8 registers 0..7 and 8 addressing modes 0..7, so Octal dumps let you see
the addressing modes w/o disassembly.
And the Opcodes are 4 or 7 or 10 bits (1,3; 1,3,3; 1,3,3,3) and are very
orthogonal so one learned to read opcodes in the dump too.