[ih] 12 Streams 2020 #3 – Celebrating NSFnet, both coming and going!

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Mon Dec 28 16:07:39 PST 2020

What comes out of this is not only how vital the NSFnet was to the
acceleration of Internet establishment, but how vital two people - Al Gore
and Dennis Jennings - were to the whole process, Al Gore in securing
funding and regulatory easement, and Dennis Jennings in his insistence that
no node would receive that funding unless they implemented TCP IP. And then
Gore further facilitated the transition to the commercial Internet we know
today.

ISOC Live posted: "Today, Monday December 28 2020, at 7:00pm EST (00:00
UTC) in the third installment of the Internet Society Livestreaming‘s ‘12
Days of Streams‘ 2020 highlights, we feature two celebrations of the
National Science Foundation Network (NSFNET). From 1985-199"

[image: livestream]
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/12streams2020-3>Today,
*Monday December 28 2020*, at *7:00pm EST* (00:00 UTC) in the third
installment of the *Internet Society Livestreaming <https://isoc.live/>*‘s ‘*12
Days of Streams <https://isoc.live/?s=%2312streams>*‘ 2020 highlights, we
feature two celebrations of the *National Science Foundation Network
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Science_Foundation_Network>*
(NSFNET). From 1985-1995 the NSFnet was a pivotal United States program
that laid the foundation of the global Internet. was a pivotal United
States program that laid the foundation of the global Internet.

First we have excerpts *35th Anniversary Celebratory Event
<https://isoc.live/13170/>* on December 8 which marked its founding.
Earlier in the year, on April 30 '*Internet Independence Day
<https://isoc.live/12014/>*', a panel marked its demise, which was the
moment that the Internet fully transitioned from a government to a private
enterprise.

*SPEAKERS*

*NSFNET 35th Anniversary Celebratory Event *

*Vint Cerf*, Chief Internet Evangelist, Google
*Al Gore*, former Vice President, USA
*Dennis Jennings*, former First Program Director for Networking, NSF
*Howard Pfeffer*, President and CEO, Internet2
*Andrew Sullivan*, President and CEO, Internet Society
*Margaret Martonosi*, Assistant Director for Computer and Information
Science and Engineering (CISE), NSF
*MODERATOR:* *Ana Hunsinger*, Vice President, Community Engagement,
Internet2

*Internet Independence Day*

*Reed Hundt* (former FCC Chairman)
*Esther Dyson* (first CEO of ICANN)
*James Lewis* (SVP CSIS)
*Tom Evslin* (founder ITXC)
*Andrew Odlyzko* (former Bell Labs and Prof U MN)
*Gary Shapiro*, President, Consumer Technology Association
*MODERATOR:* *Daniel Berninger*, VCXC

*VIEW ON LIVESTREAM: https://livestream.com/internetsociety/12streams2020-3
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/12streams2020-3>*

*TWITTER #12STREAMS <http://bit.ly/2t8HX2J> #NSFNET