[ih] Protocol numbers (was IP version 7)

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Fri Dec 25 10:36:59 PST 2020

There was also an X.25 synchronous serial interface that appeared later.
  When we got ARPANET IMP 17 at the University of Maryland as part of
the NSFNET Interconnections project, our host interface was X.25.  This
was matched to an X.25 Q-bus interface in a MicroVAX-II with the most
complex device driver I ever had seen to date.

We had a synchronous null modem between the IMP (referred to as a PSN at
the time, I suppose) and our host.  It had some thumbwheel switches to
select the clock speed; 56K bps worked, sadly, selecting 78K bps did
not.

As it turned out, I think the X.25 interface ended up being a bad fit
for this particular application (router between two networks).  We also
had one of the root DNS servers running at our site, so lots to sites
wanted to exchange traffic with stuff behind our IMP port.

There was essentially an X.25 VC that would be signaled to send traffic
to a particular remote IMP/port combination.  And there often were more
active endpoints than number of active X.25 VCs that were supported, so
there was some amount of thrashing that would happen.  I don't recall if
this was a limitation of the IMP, the X.25 board in the MicroVAX or the
driver.

louie