[ih] Protocol numbers (was IP version 7)

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 09:56:15 PST 2020

John,

> On Dec 22, 2020, at 6:04 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>
> Bob Hinden via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>> BTW, I am not sure why 8 and 9 are labeled as historic, but 7 isn't.
>> I will ask IANA about this off list.
>
> While we're thinking about it, there is another small field that
> threatens to overflow sometime in the foreseeable future, the "Assigned
> Internet Protocol Numbers".  These are 8 bits wide, and exist in every IPv4
> and IPv6 packet:
>
>  https://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers/protocol-numbers.xhtml

This topic comes up periodically.  As Brian said, it it impossible to know what is being used on the Internet.

For example, Craig Partridge and I were involved in RDP (RFC908 and RFC1151).   We were not aware of any active use, until someone pointed out it was a required part of the specification for eSIM used in mobile phones.   See:

https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/102100_102199/102127/06.06.00_60/ts_102127v060600p.pdf

The other reason why I don’t think the space is at risk of filling up is is because most new protocols won’t make it through most NAT or Firewalls.   People tend to do new stuff under UDP, TCP, or HTTP.

As far as I can tell, there has only been one new assignment in the last ten years.

Bob