[ih] IP version 7

Francis Dupont Francis.Dupont at fdupont.fr
Fri Dec 18 11:15:46 PST 2020

 In your previous mail you wrote:

>  the sequence was that once we (the IPng directorate, Allison & I) had decided on what we were going to
>  recommend as IPng I went to Jon and asked for an IP version number  - he said that the next available
>  number was 10 (5 was ST2 and the others had been assigned to the experimental IPng protocols SIPP,
>  TUBA and Catnip)

=> TUBA got the number 7

>  I went back to Jon - he suggested asking the SIPP folk to release 6 since the experimental SIPP IPng
>  protocol was not going to go anywhere - I asked Steve & Bob if that would be OK and they agreed
>  so IPng became IPv6

=> this matches what I can remember... A bit old as I went to Amsterdam for
the 27th IETF (first outside NA) in July 1993 with a TUBA implementation.

For IPv6 itself first implementations appeared in March 1995 with a demo
at Stockholm for the 33rd IETF in July. I do not know for the 32nd IETF
as I didn't come to Danvers.

Regards

Francis.Dupont at fdupont.fr