[ih] Fwd: Question - reference source for formal decommissioning of ARPANET in 1990?

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 6 08:42:09 PST 2020

 Dan,
I have no direct knowledge, but I do no that at the time of the NCP -> TCP cutover there were only a couple of ARPANET sites doing classified work, and their attachment was via PLI's (Private Line Interface) built by BBN which incorporated NSA approved bit-stream encryption devices. The PLIs packetized the encrypted bit stream and appended/deleted IMP headers on the packets.  The classified hosts could just think of the ARPANET as a wire (a "private line").  After the cutover to TCP the PLIs were replaced by IPLIs (Internet Private Line Interface).
There were various ARPANET clones delivered to government agencies.  The Hosts on those networks may have never switched to TCP, but I don't know whether they even used NCP; there was little or no unclassified information available about the use of those networks.
Alex