[ih] sad news

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Sat Dec 5 10:47:37 PST 2020

Steve,
   An amazing anecdote -- thanks for it.
   Norm seems to have contributed with both a practical system and good
mathematical analysis of it.
   In addition, he had a whimsical side.  At some point later in the
1970s, he visited the Computer Science department at Carnegie-Mellon and
gave a talk on Alohanet etc.  During informal conversation, he expressed
an interest in self-organizing systems.  He posited that you could build
very small integrated devices that would include a processor/memory
chip, a photovoltaic cell, and a rudimentary radio transceiver.  He
mused on putting a dozen or so of them in a paper sack, shining a
flashlight into it, and shaking it.  The phrase "shake and bake
computing" came up in the conversation -- I don't recall whether from
Norm or from one of the grad students.

	-- Guy