[ih] Fwd: Question - reference source for formal decommissioning of ARPANET in 1990?

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Sat Dec 5 09:08:45 PST 2020

My understanding is that by 1983 there were also free standing networks
using ARPANET technology (e.g. in various parts of the military) and they
kept using NCP for some time after ARPANET cut over.  Indeed, given it is
only 37 years later, I wouldn't be surprised if there's an NCP link
somewhere in the world :-).

Craig

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 9:50 AM Andrew G. Malis via Internet-history <

> Dan,
>
> I managed the NCP->TCP transition on the ARPANET that started on 1/1/83. I
> wrote the IMP code that enforced the transition by adding a filter to drop
> NCP packets, which was managed on a host-by-host basis. We had an official
> list from DARPA of hosts that were approved to continue using NCP. I spent
> New Year's Day in the NOC, turning off NCP for unapproved hosts, and I
> fielded calls from unhappy site managers as their NCP traffic stopped
> flowing (as they had been warned many times). I told them the process of
> how to contact DARPA to at least temporarily get on the approved list, and
> I turned the filters off and back on as directed by DARPA. Sadly, I don't
> recall when we finished the process of turning on the NCP filter for all
> hosts.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 7:31 PM Dan Lynch via Internet-history <
> internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> > I only use real data😂🙀
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > Cell 650-776-7313

> 80s
> > in Texas.
> > >
> > > A reference like that, about Texas, affords such a target-rich
> > opportunity, I'm overwhelmed.
> > >
> > > d/
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dave Crocker
> > > Brandenburg InternetWorking
> > > bbiw.net
> >
> > --

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and