[ih] ARPANET uncontrolled packets (was: UDP Length Field?)

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 3 13:01:11 PST 2020

 I was not an IMP programmer so I may have the details wrong, but as I recall an uncontrolled packet was treated just like any other packet, except:- if it ever arrived at an IMP that didn't have a buffer available it was ACKed but dropped, and- no RFNM was generated by the destination IMP.A host sending an uncontrolled packet could set the priority bit on or off; if priority was on the packet would go to the heads of queues just like any other packet.  It was retransmitted like a regular packet if it encountered errors on a circuit (to do otherwise would have been much more complicated).
If there were an uncontrolled packet resident in an IMP buffer and then that IMP ran out of buffers I don't believe that the IMP had a way of finding and deleting the uncontrolled packet to free up a buffer.  As I recall, that was the principal fear in allowing uncontrolled packets.
Cheers,Alex