[ih] Question - reference source for formal decommissioning of ARPANET in 1990?

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Wed Dec 2 06:43:09 PST 2020

I don't have a source, but plenty of memories about the era.

Beginning in 1987, while at Rice University in Houston, I was organizing
one of the regional networks related to the NSFnet project.  One of the
reasons why NSF asked us at Rice to lead the effort within Texas was
that the more obvious statewide leadership at the University of Texas
were not interested.  This was because they had a nice connection to the
ARPAnet.  During this period, when email and a little FTP were the main
applications, a medium-lightly loaded 56kb/s ARPAnet was pretty good.

But by autumn 1988, when the NSFnet regional networks were growing
rapidly, campus LANs were popping up, and the (fractional) T1-based
NSFnet backbone was a great success, the university community quickly
turned to the NSFnet as its primary Internet infrastructure.  And, while
the federal agency networks, especially at the Dept of Energy and at
NASA, were also very successful, the folks at ARPA were in no mood to
invest further in the ARPAnet as bread-and-butter infrastructure.  Not
only would that have required the ARPAnet to be upgraded to T1 circuits
etc., but it would then have to be managed primarily as infrastructure
rather than as a relatively nimble combination of infrastructure and
research vehicle.  And, given the growth in usage of the Internet, based
in part on the much greater capacity of the T1-based NSFnet, a
56kb/s-based national network connecting high-end computer science
research departments and labs was no longer of real interest.  After
all, while a lightly loaded 56kb/s network can support email and FTP
quite well, a congested 56kb/s network is not really useful.

So, once it was clear that the NSFnet would succeed, ARPA decided to
shut down the ARPAnet.  Given that the community could still vividly
remember the ARPAnet being, until at least 1987, the premiere Internet
service, this was quite shocking.  The key figure at ARPA was Major Mark
Pullen.  I recall one wag referring to Pullen pullin' the plug on the
ARPAnet.  When he announced the shutdown and its timing, as I say, even
many of us active in the NSFnet project were taken aback and fretted
over the difficulties of transitioning to an Internet without the
ARPAnet as a key component.  But, by the time the shutdown approached,
my memory was of it being a non-event.

Others on the list surely experienced this from different perspectives.

	-- Guy