[ih] 13 the unlucky number

surfer surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Aug 13 17:34:15 PDT 2020

:: it seems things have regressed over the decades and now routers don't
always respond to ICMP.  I think some ISPs have turned it off because of
all the "ping" traffic they experienced.

Long time network operator here.  :)

Probably I'm stating the obvious with this considering who is in the
room.  Routers always respond to pings unless it's turned off by the
operator.  In my experience, the "Ping Blockade" started in the
mid-1990s so attackers could not map out the network to decide what to
attack.  Now days any routers behind a firewall will have various
aspects of ICMP (or the whole thing) blocked and things like MPLS will
also hide the underlying architecture from ICMP if the internet is
carried in a layer 3 VPN.  And more...

scott