[ih] 13 the unlucky number

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Tue Aug 11 14:12:13 PDT 2020

On 2020-08-11, at 20:53, John Lowry via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-main-ipaddr-text-rep-00

Thank you!  I didn’t know of this I-D; while I have not checked all the details, it certainly meshes with and confirms my memories of the situation.
And another thank you to everyone else for filling in more details.

By the way, I have to correct myself: My experiments with macOS were based on using telnet (which doesn’t even exist in current macOS; I seem to have used the homebrew inetutils version); but then even older versions of telnet (OS X 10.9) do not seem to accept octal-notated addresses as such (at least with four numbers given; telnet 010.1 does go to 8.0.0.1!), while ping does.

Apart from the octal/hex deviation, the “octet-dot-24bits” deviation of course is in heavy use: “ping 1.1” (insert diagnostic tool of choice for “ping”) is the canonical way to check “do I have Internet access” in my quarters: it pings 1.0.0.1, the alternate 32-bit address of Cloudflare’s one.one.one.one.

Grüße, Carsten