[ih] Today’s Internet Still Relies on an ARPANET-Era Protocol: The Request for Comments (Steve Crocker)

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Aug 7 18:58:48 PDT 2020

Cool!

Just tried it, got to

Connected to the KA-10 simulator DPK device, line

And then it just froze.

I expect it might be overloaded right now, by everyone trying it out,
all at once. :-)

Miles

On 8/7/20 8:25 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> Believe it.  I just logged  into the ITS system MIT-DM (Arpanet host 0,
> IMP 6), from my Ubuntu desktop
> Well, OK its running today on a simulated PDP-10, in Sweden rather than
> MIT, and the ITS code was resurrected from ancient backup tapes.   The
> network address is a little different.  But Telnet and FTP still work
> fine.   Just like in 1972.   A nice historical reconstruction by the
> ITS-HACKERS crew.   Try it.  /Jack
>
> ------------------------
>
> $ telnet its.pdp10.se 1972
> Trying 88.99.191.74...
> Connected to pdp10.se.
> Escape character is '^]'.
>

> Connected to the KA-10 simulator DPK device, line 1
>
> sys^F

DSK  SYS

FREE BLOCKS U0 #0 6026 U1 #1 6462 U2 #2 6462

  0   ATSIGN DRAGON 3 !4/20/72 12:35:03

  0   ATSIGN HACTRN 14 !8/1/71 06:08:48

  0   TS     DMP    4 !8/1/71 16:38:50

  0   TS     DUMP   5 !-

  0   TS     LOCK   2 !4/20/72 12:35:11

  0   TS     MIDAS  15 !-

  0   TS     NTECO  14 !4/20/72 12:35:38

  0   TS     PDSET  2 !-

  0   TS     PEEK   6 !4/20/72 12:35:24

  0   TS     PRUFD  1 !-

> ----------
>
> On 8/7/20 4:11 PM, Bernie Cosell via Internet-history wrote:
>> that FTP and TELNET are still used, but I barely believe it :o)]
>>
>>    /Bernie\
>>              Bernie Cosell
>>         bernie at fantasyfarm.com
>> -- Too many people; too few sheep --

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown