[ih] Today’s Internet Still Relies on an ARPANET-Era Protocol: The Request for Comments (Steve Crocker)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Aug 7 15:12:35 PDT 2020

Thanks, Geoff, interesting article...

While the RFC has been enduring, I've always wondered -- where are all
the Comments in response to those thousands of RFCs that Requested them?

Is there some "form" site somewhere where each RFC appears when
published and has a "Comments" section to collect and preserve the
Comments.   That kind of thing is pervasive today on all sorts of news
sites, blogs, etc.   But IMHO the RFCs have somehow always been ignoring
the Cs they Request.

I recall writing only several RFCs, but comments typically came back via
email discussions.   Sometimes for years.  I fear most of that aspect of
Internet History, the comments and discussions, has been lost.   I
wonder if the long-standing "technology" of RFCs needs a Version 2,
which captures and preserves the Comments just as it has done for
decades with the Requests.

I guess I should write an RFC about that........

/Jack