[ih] Who owns old RFCs ?

Don Hopkins don at DonHopkins.com
Fri Apr 24 15:17:50 PDT 2020

There's a wonderful Doctor Dobb’s Journal interview with James Clark (the groff/sgml/xml guy, not to be confused with Jim Clark of SGI or James "Oklahoma Jack” Clark the depression-era bank robber) called "A Triumph of Simplicity: James Clark on Markup Languages and XML" where he explains how a standard has failed if everyone just uses the reference implementation, because the point of a standard is to be crisp and simple enough that many different implementations can interoperate perfectly.

-Don

A Triumph of Simplicity: James Clark on Markup Languages and XML

http://www.drdobbs.com/a-triumph-of-simplicity-james-clark-on-m/184404686 <http://www.drdobbs.com/a-triumph-of-simplicity-james-clark-on-m/184404686>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Clark_(programmer) <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Clark_(programmer)>

Excerpts from the DDJ interview (it's fascinating -- read the whole thing!):