[ih] Who owns old RFCs ?

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Fri Apr 24 13:49:10 PDT 2020

On April 24, 2020 15:55:04 Dan Lynch via Internet-history
<internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> Back in the 80s I created Interop so vendors could demonstrate compliance
> with the IETF RFC standards. The idea of a testing institute to ensure
> compliance was floated and found too burdensome by everyone so public
> demonstrations became the efficient way. Our motto became “I know it works.
> I saw it at Interop!”  Of course there was months of voluntary testing at
> my lab in Sunnyvale that preceded the public demonstrations at Interop.
> Self interest motivated every one.

doesn't that run into the n² problem?  if you had an effective compliance
test it would be an o(n) problem, but for interoperability testing it is
an o{n²) matter.  if you have, say, 12 vendors you'd have to 12 compliance
tests
but 66 interop tests.

/Bernie\

                     Bernie Cosell