[ih] Who owns old RFCs ?

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Apr 23 08:25:40 PDT 2020

On 4/23/2020 6:59 AM, Clem Cole via Internet-history wrote:
> IMO, while protecting against fake RFCs is probably a good idea too, I
> believe that what we really need is a way to protect the >>ideas<<

Indeed it might be helpful to clarify what problems or threats are of
interest and also establish how serious a concern they are.

For example, there is a long-standing fear that a non-standards track
IETF RFC will be promoted as if it were a standard.  And indeed, some
folk have done this.  But after 40+ years, there is little evidence that
this abuse has been a significant problem to the industry.

Vint's trademark suggestion has the nice combination of simplicity and
clarity.  It's a well-established mechanism, with known benefits and
limitations, and it's use is straightforward.  (Small concern about the
faction that the construct is national rather than international, of
course.)

Internauts Creed: "This is the IETF's RFC.  There are many like it, but
this one is the IETF's."

Not sure how to affix the IETF logo as a trademark to an ASCII RFC, though.

(Small aside about trademark: The American Red Cross relatively recently
moved from a simple red cross as its symbol to a red cross inside a
shaded 'badge', since the former couldn't be trademarked; not
distinctive enough.)

d/
--
Dave Crocker