[ih] Who owns old RFCs ?

vinton cerf vgcerf at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 04:29:10 PDT 2020

John may not be a lawyer, but I think he gets the milestones and their
implications right. After the adoption of the Berne Convention on March 1,
1989 by the US, copyright was implicitly held by the author without need of
registration. Regarding the Copyright Act of 1976, it was signed into law
on October 19, 1976 but went into effect on 1 January 1978:

On *October 19, 1976*, President Gerald Ford signed the Copyright Act of
1976 (Public Law 94-553), the first major revision of the copyright law
since 1909. The law, with certain exceptions, went into effect on January
1, 1978, and superseded the 1909 act. The 1976 act extended federal
copyright protection to all works, both published and unpublished, once
they are fixed in a tangible form.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 12:15 AM John Gilmore via Internet-history <