[ih] Who owns old RFCs ?

Scott O. Bradner sob at sobco.com
Wed Apr 22 03:40:56 PDT 2020

I do not recall any deliberate delay - it just worked out that way

yes, there was a short lived effort to get the authors/editors of old RFCs to sign their copyright over - Ray
had forms he would let you sign if you wanted to but he never pushed it and I have no idea if the signed
forms can be found - he also had a list of the people who had signed at one point

the primary reason, as I recall, was to ensure the ability for the IETF to make derivative  works based on old RFCs

Scott