[ih] origins of the term "hyperlink"

Don Hopkins don at DonHopkins.com
Wed Apr 15 00:43:45 PDT 2020

> [...]
>
> HI Don,
>
>    I contacted Mark Anderson who provided some useful information – he agrees to passing this on, so you can share with others.  See below and attachments.  Claus Atzenbeck also works on hypertext history, but he could not provide further information.
>
> So we don’t know who coined hyperlinks, but I think the claim that my idea (some time in 1984) and the work of UMd grad students (especially Ostroff and Koved) defined, implemented, and validated the visual design of highlighted selectable hyperlinks within a paragraph (what TBL called hot spots) remains intact. A strong piece of evidence is the April 1986 CACM paper with Koved.  For those checking exact dates, the paper says “Received 9/85: accepted 11/85”. The Ewing et al paper from 1986 says “Received 6 March 1985” …both are attached.
>
> Ewing J, Mehrabanzad S, Sheck S, Ostroff D and Shneiderman B (1986), "An experimental comparison of a mouse and arrow-jump keys for an interactive encyclopedia", International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, Jan., 1986, Vol 24, pp. 29-45.
> [Abstract <>] [BibTeX <>] [DOI <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7373(86)80038-4>]
>
> Ostroff D and Shneiderman B (1988), "Selection devices for users of an electronic encyclopedia: an empirical comparison of four possibilities", Information Processing and Management, Nov., 1988, Vol 24(6), pp. 665-680.
> [Abstract <>] [BibTeX <>] [DOI <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0306-4573(88)90004-0>]
>
> The 4000 copies of the PC-based Hypertext on Hypertext disks, using Hyperties from Cognetics Corp, published by ACM appears to have been widely influential in gaining adoption.  That is what TBL cites in his Spring 1989 manifesto for the web, and his choice of light blue highlighting comes from our work…. As he told me at some conference.
> The video made around 2015 by me, shows it in operation:  https://youtu.be/29b4O2xxeqg <https://youtu.be/29b4O2xxeqg>
>
> Our web page is
> http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/hyperties/ <http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/hyperties/>
>
> You are welcome to pass this around and/or post to the discussion boards that are debating this issue.
>   Comments or clarifications are welcome.
>           --Ben
>
> Ben Shneiderman                      ben at cs.umd.edu <mailto:ben at cs.umd.edu>
> Dept of Computer Science       www.cs.umd.edu/~ben <http://www.cs.umd.edu/~ben>
> Iribe Building 2162
> University of Maryland
> College Park, MD 20814
>
> Distinguished University Professor Emeritus
> Founding Director (1982-2000) Human-Computer Interaction Lab
> Member, National Academy of Engineering
> Fellow, AAAS, ACM, IEEE, NAI, SIGCHI Academy, VIS Academy

[I have uploaded the PDF attachments and linked to them here (and inlined the text one), since the internet-history mailing list email size is limited. -Don]

Embedded menus: Selecting Items in Context
Larry Koved and Ben Shneiderman
Communications of the ACM, Computing Practices, April 1986, Volume 29, Number 4, p. 312-318

https://donhopkins.com/home/documents/Koved-Embedded%20Menues-CACM-4-1986.pdf <https://donhopkins.com/home/documents/Koved-Embedded%20Menues-CACM-4-1986.pdf>

An experimental comparison of a mouse and arrow-jump keys for an interactive encyclopedia
John Ewing, Simin Mehrabanzad, Scott Sheck, Dan Ostroff and Ben Shneiderman
International Journal of Man Machine Studies (1986) 24, p. 29-45

https://donhopkins.com/home/documents/Ewing-Ostroff-mouse-arrowkeys-IJMMS-1986-01-published.pdf <https://donhopkins.com/home/documents/Ewing-Ostroff-mouse-arrowkeys-IJMMS-1986-01-published.pdf>

Origin-hyperlink:

HYPERTEXT’87 Proceedings  - nothing

Hypertext I Proceedings (1988) - nothing (book source only)

HYPERTEXT’89 Proceedings - nothing

ECHT’90 Proceedings - nothing (book source only)

Hypertext II Proceedings (1990) - nothing (book source only)

HYPERTEXT’91 Proceedings (1 paper)
Smith & Donaldson
ABC: a hypermedia system for artifact-based collaboration pp.179–192
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/122974.122992 <https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/122974.122992>
p.185
Referring, once again, to level 1 of the data model: the server differentiates between structural links and hyperlinks. Constraints on structural links determine the type of the subgraph; –e.g., no node in a tree subgraph may have more than one incoming link. Hyperlinks, however, may join any two nodes in the same subgraph or in different subgraphs. … Thus, the first level of the data model actually consists of nodes, structural links, hyperlinks, subgraphs, and hypergraphs, all with associated contents and attributes.

ECHT’92 Proceedings - nothing

HYPERTEXT’93 Proceedings - nothing

ECHT’94 Proceedings (5 papers)

Davis, Knight & Hall
Light hypermedia link services: a study of third party application integration pp.41–50
https://doi.org/10.1145/192757.192767 <https://doi.org/10.1145/192757.192767>
1 use of hyperlink

Anderson, Tayloer & Whitehead
Chimera: hypertext for heterogeneous software environments pp.94–107
https://doi.org/10.1145/192757.192783 <https://doi.org/10.1145/192757.192783>
3 uses of hyperlink

Christophides & Rizk
Querying structured documents with hypertext links using OODBMS pp.186–197
https://doi.org/10.1145/192757.192799 <https://doi.org/10.1145/192757.192799>
3 uses of hyperlink

Ossenbruggen & Eliëns
Music in Time-Based Hypermedia pp.224–227
https://doi.org/10.1145/192757.376055 <https://doi.org/10.1145/192757.376055>
1 use of hyperlink

Brailsford
Experience with the use of Acrobat in the CAJUN publishing project pp.228–232
https://doi.org/10.1145/192757.376057 <https://doi.org/10.1145/192757.376057>
3 uses of hyperlink

HYPERTEXT’96 Proceedings (5 papers)

HyperCafe: Narrative and Aesthetic Properties of Hypervideo pp1–10
https://doi.org/10.1145/234828.234829 <https://doi.org/10.1145/234828.234829>
p.7 Fig. 8 Caption:  A portion of the HyperCafe script organized and hyperlinked using Storyspace
Moulthrop, Stuart. Dreamtime, A hypertext with time-constrained hyperlinks,1992.

Ut pictura hyperpoesis: spatial form, visuality, and the digital word pp.66–73
https://doi.org/10.1145/234828.234835 <https://doi.org/10.1145/234828.234835>
3 uses of hyperlink

Evaluating HyTime: an examination and implementation experience pp.105–115
https://doi.org/10.1145/234828.234839 <https://doi.org/10.1145/234828.234839>
12 uses of hyperlink

HyPursuit: a hierarchical network search engine that exploits content-link hypertext clustering pp.180–193
https://doi.org/10.1145/234828.234846 <https://doi.org/10.1145/234828.234846>
23 uses of hyperlink

Logic programming with the World-Wide Web pp.235–245
https://doi.org/10.1145/234828.234851 <https://doi.org/10.1145/234828.234851>
18 uses of hyperlink