[ih] POLIS Simulations on ARPANET? -- Micropolis => SimCity

Don Hopkins don at DonHopkins.com
Wed Apr 15 00:25:18 PDT 2020

The original name that Will Wright used for SimCity was “Micropolis”, but he changed it to “SimCity" before releasing it, because “Micropolis" was the name of a disk drive manufacturer at the time.

When we talked Maxis/EA into releasing the original SimCity source code under GPLv3 (thanks to John Gilmore and Eban Moglen and SJ Klein), the licensing agreement stipulated that modified versions couldn’t use the name SimCity unless the code had undergone and passed QA testing and was approved by EA. So we went through that long arduous process once, to make a release of GPL SimCity for the OLPC, and we then did all further development under the original name, “Micropolis”.

https://github.com/SimHacker/micropolis <https://github.com/SimHacker/micropolis>

Press release: EA DONATES ORIGINAL CITY-BUILDING GAME, SIMCITY, TO “ONE LAPTOP PER CHILD” INITIATIVE
https://donhopkins.com/home/micropolis/EA%20Gifts%20SimCity_11_5.pdf <https://donhopkins.com/home/micropolis/EA%20Gifts%20SimCity_11_5.pdf>

SimCity EA/OLPC Contract:
https://donhopkins.com/home/micropolis/olpc-ea-contract.pdf <https://donhopkins.com/home/micropolis/olpc-ea-contract.pdf>

-Don

From: Don Hopkins
To: Will Wright
Date: November 7, 2007

Hi, Will!

The contract between EA and OLPC says EA QA has to approve the version
that goes on the OLPC and uses the name SimCity, which is fine and going
well. And it also says that the GPL source code release should not use
the trademarked term SimCity.

So we need a new name to call it, that's not hopelessly taken or goofy
sounding or gimicky, and reflects the purpose of releasing it under the
GPL for the benefit of education, but is still close enough to SimCity
to remind people it's based on the same code and not just a third party
knock-off.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions, please?

The best thing I've come up with is "ScriptCity", which sounds similar
but is different enough, and implies two important things: 1) the fact
that the current version is scriptable in TCL, the next version will be
scriptable in Python, and later versions will be scriptable with visual
programming languages (so kids can learn to program, plug in extensions,
use the code as a starting point for their own games, etc). 2) scripting
as in writing stories: the goal of applying ideas from The Sims Exchange
for taking pictures of the game, writing text about what's happening in
the city, and publishing a newspaper / blog / geocoded timestamped
articles / save file snapshots that you can share like the Sims stories
and families on The Sims Exchange.

I like ScriptCity because it fits in will with two of the major goals of
the OLPC project: 1) programming and 2) literacy. And "scripting" is
nicely ambiguous in the way it refers to both.

What do you think? John's already registered the host name, which was
not yet taken, and it satisfies one of the other more difficult
constraints, that the name not be used for a game yet and the address be
available.

-Don