[ih] This has been asked before but - when & how did the us government define the Internet

Joseph Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Fri Apr 3 18:57:31 PDT 2020

> On Apr 3, 2020, at 6:28 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> Interesting...  By that definition, requiring a "globally unique address
> space", I wonder what fraction of the thing-that-we-call-Internet is
> actually part of The Internet.

Indeed. I had posed some of this question a while back, setting what I thought were requirements for “being ON the Internet”, rather than merely “Internet content access” (e.g., behind a NAT or at a kiosk; it’s all accessing Internet content but not a full-fledged member):

https://www.strayalpha.com/internet-rights

It’s definitely more than just running IP or having an address, though.

Joe