[ih] This has been asked before but - when & how did the us government define the Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Apr 3 18:28:40 PDT 2020

Interesting...  By that definition, requiring a "globally unique address
space", I wonder what fraction of the thing-that-we-call-Internet is
actually part of The Internet.

E.g., I have quite a few devices in my house, all using TCP/IP, with
addresses 192.168.xx.xx, and you probably have some too.   My address
space is not globally unique, so I guess all of my stuff isn't part of
The Internet?

Similarly, back in the 90s I was involved in running a large corporate
intranet, and we used the whole IP address space to structure our
addresses inside, with only a few machines that allowed certain traffic
(Email, Web, etc.) to pass to and from the rest of The Internet.  I
suspect a lot of other organizations did the same, so they don't fit
into a globally unique address space either.

I wonder how many such situations exist today - e.g., how server farms,
end-user ISPs, etc. approach the address space issue, and if they're
really part of the unique global address space of the Internet by that
definition.

/Jack Haverty