[ih] Defamation lawsuit brought by self-proclaimed email "inventor" settles

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun May 19 13:48:17 PDT 2019

On 5/18/19 6:41 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

> On 5/18/2019 4:36 PM, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
>> Does it really, really matter who can lay claim to email?
> Does clarity about the details of history matter?  People tend to think
> it does.  For many reasons.

I agree with Dave's point - clarity does matter.  (And when it comes to
e-mail I can not think of a greater authority than Dave Crocker.)

However, my thought of how to respond goes in a somewhat different
direction.

My wife (Chris Wellens) and I set forth some years ago to try to collect
long (several hour long) interviews with people involved with the
invention of the internet. We had to take a hiatus, but we will be
resuming soon.  (Many of you on this list are probably also on our list
of people we want to talk to.)

Our intention is to publish every second of the raw takes of those
interviews, the video and the audio, under a non-commercial use Creative
Commons license (we added the non-commercial part because we fear abuse
of the material by hack popular history outlets such as History
Channel.)  (Some of our interviewees have requested that their comments
be published directly into the public domain.)  We've had an informal
offer from the Internet Archives that they would be willing to host
these materials, which is something we hope to do.

We also plan our own focused/edited selections, but as in Roshomon, each
of us may see things differently; so we want to allow others to re-use
the base materials to tell other stories and provide other views.

Our goal is not to illuminate specific technologies but, rather, to
delve into the way that ideas came about, evolved, grew or faded, and
conflicted.  We are more interested in the process of invention than in
the technology of the invention.

My wife and I feel like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in Hamlet - we have
had the opportunity to play a role among other, larger actors, in a
great event, the invention of the internet.  While these actors are
alive we want to give them the opportunity to make a record about their
roles and, and as important, their interactions with others.

With our compendium and others, those who make specious claims of
invention will find it difficult to maintain that claim over the decades
(and probably centuries) as people ask "how did this great thing come to
be?"

     --karl--