[ih] Defamation lawsuit brought by self-proclaimed email "inventor" settles

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat May 18 14:31:19 PDT 2019

On 5/18/2019 2:26 PM, Richard Bennett wrote:
> Is this a win or a loss for Masnick?

It ends the waste of funds.  But it doesn't reimburse them for the waste
up to now.

He notes that adding the link is pretty much on a par with what they
already had, so he doesn't count it as meaning much.  My own reaction is
the same.  So while it might be distasteful, I don't count it for much
either way.

To me the larger issue is the 'fake news' aspect of people's being able
to claim a role in Internet history that they did not have, but by
virtue of their aggressive marketing and legal manipulations, getting
treated as if they did.  I wish I saw a deterministic way to fix that.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking