[ih] Internet History - from Community to Big Tech?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 17:17:47 PDT 2019

On 29-Mar-19 11:33, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On 3/27/19 7:16 PM, Jack Haverty wrote:
>
>> The "packet driver" standardization may have made it easier for all
>> those people to write their TCP stacks -- but there was no such
>> standardization at the next level - the APIs that allowed an app to use
>> those stacks.  So we needed different code for each TCP stack.
>
> The Winsock API evolved on the top side of many of the TCP stacks.
> Winsock was a distant relative of the Unix socket API (and when I say
> "distant" I mean "they could almost see one another on a clear day with
> a good telescope").  If I remember correctly there was a vendor
> consortium to work on making sure that Winsock was clear and solid.  I
> do remember running some Winsock interoperability bake-offs.

Yes, all of that. But it remains a daily problem that Winsock2 is
incompatible with the POSIX socket API, and there are some subtle
and not-so-subtle discrepancies that make software portability a
real problem to this day, when you are trying to do anything
even slightly off the beaten track.

>> I wonder if that is where the boundary starts between interoperability
>> and walled gardens

No, I don't think so, not any more. But as far as I'm concerned that
isn't a history topic... Oh, all right, I mean:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-carpenter-limited-domains

   Brian